DARLING POINT SUBURB SPOTLIGHT
Darling Point is bounded by Sydney Harbour to the north, Double Bay to the east, Edgecliff to the south and Rushcutters Bay to the west. Darling Point is predominantly residential and is one of the most densely populated areas in Sydney.
Darling Point Road follows the ridge of the headland that is Darling Point. Mona Road and Greenoaks Avenue act as two other main access roads to the suburb. New Beach Road runs between the western boundary of the suburb and Rushcutters Bay Park. Darling Point ferry wharf provides access to Eastern Suburbs ferry services.
McKell Park was originally the site of the now-demolished Canonbury House, but is now a public park. Situated at the northern end of Darling Point Road, it has panoramic views of Sydney Harbour and is a popular location for picnics and weddings. It also provides access to Darling Point's ferry stop.
Darling Point was sub divided for residential development in 1841, and became from that time a preferred place of residence for the most successful and wealthy members of Sydney's emerging society. Its reputation as a wealthy suburb and haven for members of the successful remains unchanged today.
Aggressive re-development and re-subdivision, an inevitable consequence of the prevailing high land values, has ensured that the original 19th century estates have been broken up, and many of the original fine houses demolished. However some examples of these remain, such as Lindesay, Bishopscourt and Swifts.Today Darling Point is one of the most densely settled suburbs in Woollahra council area.