EDGECLIFF SUBURB SPOTLIGHT
Edgecliff is a small suburb in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney located 4 kilometres east of the Sydney central business district, in the local government area of the Municipality of Woollahra. Its postcode of 2027 is shared with adjacent harbourside Darling Point.
Edgecliff is probably best known for its landmark shopping centre and Edgecliff railway station which was opened in 1979. Prior to that time a tram route from King St in the city Ocean Street, Edgecliff was in effect. Edgecliff railway station is an underground railway station on the Eastern Suburbs Line of the City Rail network. A bus interchange is located above the railway station. Offering a wide array of grocery shopping and services including hardware, printing, banking, tailors, solicitors and a post office the two shopping centres are a local hub for the surrounding suburbs.
Edgecliff takes its name from its location because it literally sits on the edge of a cliff. The rocky cliff was extensively quarried in the early day of European settlement.The area was dominated for some time by the Glenrock property, on the north side of New South Head Road. The building was demolished when New South Head Road was widened, only its gates survived.
Also on the estate was the Dower House, a Victorian Gothic Revival house of sandstone, built some time after 1842 by Whistler Smith. Also on the estate was the Dower House, a Victorian Gothic Revival house of sandstone, built some time after 1842 by Whistler Smith. The estate is now the site of Ascham School, and the above items are on the National Estate.