8km from Sydney CBD
QUEENS PARK SUBURB SPOTLIGHT
In the local government area of Waverley Council. Queens Park, the suburb, takes its name from the park on its southern border.
The park is surrounded by houses on three sides. Many on the eastern side date from the Victorian era. Those on the northern and southern sides are mainly Federation.
Many playing fields are located on the southern and western flatter sections of the park. It has been used for sports fields since 1938. Moriah College which is just across the road also uses the park for their PE lessons and other schools in Sydney also use the park. The Centennial Park and Moore Park Trust undertook major renovations of Queens Park in 2009 to improve the quality of the playing fields which are used daily. The Trust also completed a major renovation of the popular children's playground in 2009, and developed a shared cycleway to link the eastern suburbs cycle network with nearby Centennial Park.
Queens Park was originally part of the Sydney Common and later the Lachlan Swamps Water Reserve. Today it is a large urban park, part of Centennial Parklands. It was dedicated with Centennial Park in 1888 as part of the centenary celebrations of European settlement in Australia. Once part of Bondi Junction, the suburb's name was officially recognised in 1992.